The art of temporary tattoos has progressed dramatically over the past decade. For many people, a fake tattoo is something fun for kids - a party favor or a seasonal activity. You probably have fond memories of putting color, sticky fake tattoos on your skin as a child!
And do you remember the way that tacky material eventually rolled away, catching on your sensitive arm hair, and causing you to yelp in pain? Or the look on your parent's face when you plastered your favorite design right on your cheek before holiday photos?
The world of temporary tattooing has come a long way since those days! No longer is it relegated to child play. Today, sticker tattoos are used by many people worldwide as a way to experiment with designs before getting tattooed.
Tatteco is a leading producer of high-quality, eco-friendly temporary tattoos. We are best known for our fake tattoos, but have introduced a special collection of semi-permanent tattoos (aka "2-week tattoos more recently. We create beautiful, thought-provoking designs in some of the most common tattoo motifs out there.
While our temporary and semi-permanent tattoos can be used in similar ways, they each have special qualities that make them ideal for certain scenarios. In today's post, we'll share these differences so you can choose the right type of ephemeral tattoo for your specific use.
What is a temporary tattoo?
Temporary tattoos are exactly what they sound like: tattoos that are not permanent. They can last for a few days or a few weeks, depending on the type and quality of the tattoo.
Tatteco's temporary tattoos are unique because they are environmentally friendly. When we began to produce our collection, we did not want to be another company creating more waste in the world. So we opted to use 100% recyclable, plastic-free materials to create our sticker tattoos and the packaging they are shipped in. The ink in our temporary tattoo is created from plant-based materials, which makes them planet-friendly and safe for all skin types.
Our sticker tattoos are also waterproof and wear-resistant, so you can swim, shower, and play without worrying about your tattoo fading or smudging. They are designed to last on the skin for around 2 - 4 days, but some people will enjoy their designs for even longer!
To increase the lifespan of your fake tattoo, avoid using harsh scrubs or wearing tight-fitting clothing around your design. If you want to remove your fake tattoo sooner, you can use rubbing alcohol or baby oil to dissolve the adhesive and wipe away the design.
What is a semi-permanent tattoo?
A semi-permanent tattoo is a type of temporary tattoo that is designed to last longer on the skin, so they are made with different materials than traditional sticker tattoos. The ink used in these tattoos is also different, which makes them more durable and long-lasting.
Tatteco's 2-week fake tattoos are designed to stay on the skin for up to two weeks. The unique ingredients we use to create these designs are the key to their staying power. Like our traditional temporary tattoos, everything we use is recyclable and 100% plastic-free.
We create our semi-permanent tattoos with a special blend of gardenia ink. Once applied, the ink sinks into the skin rather than sitting on the surface of it. You won't see anything at first, but the gardenia pigment will naturally darken over the next 24 hours, so you can enjoy your beautiful design.
Our eco-friendly 2-week tattoos are safe for all skin types and are also waterproof. To extend their lifespan, avoid using harsh scrubs or placing them on sun-exposed areas of the body.
Temporary Tattoo Pros & Cons
Now that we've gone over the basics of each type of tattoo, let's compare their pros and cons.
Temporary Tattoo Pros:
- Eco-friendly and plastic-free
- Cost-effective - most of our designs arrive in a set of three
- Safe for all skin types
- Can try out multiple designs before committing to one
- An easy way to avoid buyer's remorse
Fake Tattoo Cons:
- Like many good things, temporary tattoos don't last forever! If you love your design, you'll need to reapply after a few days to continue enjoying it.
- If you have a unique design in mind, you won't necessarily find exactly what you want in our collection. (We do offer custom temporary tattoos for those who need a unique design in larger batches!)
2-Week Tattoo Pros & Cons
Our sustainable semi-permanent tattoos share many of the benefits and drawbacks of our regular fake tattoos but with a few unique differences.
Semi-Permanent Tattoo Pros:
- Lasts significantly longer than traditional fake tattoos - around 2 weeks in most cases.
- Longer-lasting but not permanent, so you won't be stuck with your design forever if you don't love it!
- Look more like real tattoos because the ink sinks into the skin rather than sitting on the surface.
2-Week Tattoo Cons:
- The ink takes 24 hours to fully develop, so you'll need to be patient to see your final design! Be sure to plan ahead if you're wearing your design to a special occasion!
- Due to the way the ink permeates the skin, they cannot be removed as easily as a normal fake tattoo. You can exfoliate and wash the area more often to speed up the process, but they cannot be removed immediately.
- The initial cost of our semi-permanent tattoos is higher than our regular fake tattoos (but they are longer-lasting, so you'll need to reapply less frequently).
When to Use Traditional Fake Tattoos vs. 2-Week Tattoos
The unique characteristics of each type of ephemeral tattoo mean that they are better suited for different purposes. Here are some general guidelines to help you decide which type of tattoo is right for you:
When to choose traditional temporary tattoos:
- If you want a cheap and easy way to try out multiple designs, go with a regular sticker tattoo. You can apply and remove them as often as you like until you find your perfect match!
- If you want to wear a fake tattoo to a party or as part of a costume, but don't want to show up at work with it, then our traditional temporary tattoos are a better choice.
- Thinking of handing out fake tattoos as party favors? Use our traditional ones and invite your guests to apply them on a special day (read more about using our temporary tattoos at your wedding here).
- Need a boost on a hard day? Apply one of our motivational designs to your wrist or arm for an extra dose of inspiration. Our 'mind of matter' fake tattoo or this small 'fearless' temporary tattoo are great options to consider.
The best uses for semi-permanent tattoos:
- Our 2-week tattoos are a great way to show your support for a certain cause. For example, you could wear a semi-colon semi-permanent tattoo during Mental Health Awareness Month to raise awareness.
- Test an area for sun exposure before getting a real tattoo. Our semi-permanent tattoos will give you a good idea of how a real tattoo may fade and if you’ll need to use sunscreen to prevent that from happening.
- If you need more time to "live" with a design before making a commitment, then our long-lasting tattoos are the way to go. You'll enjoy the design for up to 2 weeks, giving you the chance to really experience the design. And if you want to enjoy it for longer, just reapply!
- If you want a tattoo that will last long enough to make it through an event or vacation without needing to be reapplied, pick one of our travel semi-permanent tattoos.
How do you use our sticker tattoos?
We hope this blog helped you understand the difference between our temporary tattoos and maybe even inspired you with some new ideas! What do you think? Will you be choosing a traditional fake tattoo or a long-lasting one?
We are always amazed by the creative and unique ways that people use our sticker tattoos! We'd love to see what you do with our temporary or semi-permanent tattoos. Share your photos with us on Instagram and don't forget to tag us (@tattecogram).